Friday, July 20, 2012

Frugal July

Last month, something unfortunate occurred which resulted in a loss of my disposable income. As a result, Frugal July was born! I was forced to find cheap/free things to occupy myself with... so far, I have spent less than half what I usually spend in a month - amazing! Just goes to show that when there is a will, there is a way.

Here are some saving tips and tricks I've taken on:
  1. Bring lunch and snacks from home - Last month I spent an exhorbitant amount of money on food during work. I've made the habit to buy groceries over the weekend to bring lunch in Mon-Thu. Also, I've packed my work drawer full of snacks and Korean instant coffee so that I'm never tempted to step out and buy something instead.
  2. Enjoy the clothes I have - I've recently unpacked my vacuum bags and am having a ball with my clothes - it's like having a new wardrobe :) Another trick is to wear nice clothes everyday.. (it's a psychological game I enjoy playing with myself) because when I go shopping I always feel less inclined to buy if I'm already wearing nice clothes.
  3. Stop procrastinating - Tackled the pile of handwashing that had been getting bigger and bigger by the day. Installed the book and laundry shelves. Installed the shower curtain and rod at home. Cleaned my room. Scrubbed the shower. Got rid of my old magazines. Next on the list is to refurbish an old chair I picked off the side of the road.
  4. Make my own popcorn- I'm trying to master the art of sweet and salty popcorn, instead of buying ludicrously priced popcorn / chips. It's healthier too!
  5. Running - Since cash flow is tight, I've started running again. It's free, utilises all the muscles, and I save money not having to pay for petrol to get to classes!
Let's hope these good habits flow into August! :)

X

No comments:

Post a Comment